Monday, February 14, 2011

NICU Eye Masks






I make these for CHERUBS but any preemie charity could use these.  They are meant to protect a baby's eyes while in the NICU.


NICU EYE MASK




Need two pieces of flannel fabric and a darkening fabric(Denim or corduroy), pins, template, sewing machine, needle, thread, scissors

Cut out Template


1. Layer the three pieces of material as following: Flannel 1 face up, Flannel 2 face down so that the two right sides face each other and then place the darkening material on top.

Here I am using two very different fabrics to show the difference.



2. Place the template on top of all three fabrics and cut them all out at the same time. I cut multiple eye masks at once.
3. Pin around so that the pieces will stay together.






Cut out

Separated to show different layers

Placed together

4. Go to the sewing machine and sew around the mask about 4/8ths (the line between 3/8 and 5/8) this doesn't have to be so precise just even. make sure to leave a space open at the top so that you can turn the whole thing right side out later on.



5. Trim so that you have about 1/4 inch left all around. and clip the curves so that they turn better.





6. Turn right side out and shape. Iron your mask flat. Turn in open edge and hand sew with a hidden stitch. I used a ladder stitch..




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful idea to include in my NICU sewing donations! I have put this into a printable tutorial format for you and would like to email it to you because I don't see a way to upload it to you (sewing.works.mto at gmail). The perfectionist in me had a problem with the pattern being slightly lopsided so I straightened it out and provided images of your original pattern and the one I made. Thank you again for your awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete